Transfer Credit Appeals Process
If a student is not satisfied with a college or university transfer decision, the student may appeal a transfer decision at a college or university level and at the system level.
University Level Petition/Appeal
The student petition form can be used to appeal your initial transfer evaluation.
Substitutions or Waivers for major, minor, and LEP/MnTC requirements must be approved via the student petition form. . Courses taken for your intended major are evaluated by the department and equated via the petition process.
This form must be filled out by the student, and signed off by the academic advisor, department chair and academic deans. Students must properly fill out the form as well as attach proper documentation. This could include syllabus, course description, and a copy of your transcript. Once the petition is signed the Deans Office will send the petition to the Registration and Records Office for processing.
The Petition Form is located online or at the Registration and Records Office IL 148.
System Level Appeal
If the student is not satisfied with the college or university transfer appeal decision, the student may submit a request to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs for a system level appeal of the college or university transfer appeal decision.
• A student shall appeal a transfer decision at the college or university level prior to appeal at the system level.
• The system level appeal request shall include a copy of the college or university transfer appeal decision with supporting rationale, transcript and other documentation.
• To be considered, the student appeal for a decision that involves credits from system colleges and universities must have the support of the chief academic officer or designee of the sending system college or university. When a transfer decision involves credit earned at an institution outside the system colleges and universities, the support of a chief academic officer or designee is not required.
• Upon receipt of the system level appeal, there shall be a review by system office transfer staff. The review shall be based on course descriptions, outlines, objectives, learning outcomes, and/or other relevant information. The transfer staff shall submit a recommendation to the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs.
• The Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs shall make a final determination regarding disposition of the appeal. The decision of the Senior Vice Chancellor shall be binding on all system college and university parties.