Main Page

Military Transfer Credits

SMSU awards credit for military training based on ACE recommendations. Find out more about how military credit transfers to colleges or universities in the MnSCU VETS System.

Your military training may be considered for college credit! It's a good idea to submit your military transcript(s) for evaluation as soon as possible. Click HERE to order your Military Transcripts.

Southwest Minnesota State's knowledgeable staff can assist you with all of your veteran needs! The campus provides a Veterans' Resource Center that can assist you with all of the following:
• Montgomery GI Bill
• Post 9/11 (Ch. 33)
• Active Duty (Ch. 30)
• Reserve Education Assistance Program (Ch. 1607)
• Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606)
• Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch. 31)
• Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Ch. 35)
• Minnesota GI Bill submission and approval
• Federal Tuition Assistance/State Tuition Reimbursement

The Veterans Resource Center also provides a private area for our veterans to communicate, study and relax. The SMSU Veterans Center includes computer workstations, lounge chairs, a conference table, and other VA benefit information.

Military Transfer Procedures:

1. All Veterans must submit a copy of their DD 214 (Discharge Papers), this will allow for the transfer specialist to transfer in 4 total credits from your Basic Training experience. One credit will go towards your PE Fitness requirement while the other three will count as elective credit. All active members must submit the DD 295.

2. Southwest Minnesota State University (SMSU) may grant credit for military course completion after review of each applicant’s military service experience. The American Council on Education's Guide (ACE) to the Evaluation Experience in the Armed Forces will be used to evaluate military experience.

3. Southwest Minnesota State University grants credit for Military educational courses and University Course Work. In order to transfer your educational courses it is best to submit your Military Transcripts.

4. SMSU does not currently grant credit for Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), position responsibilities, or on the job training activities.

5. Military credit is entered onto a student’s record lower division elective credit on a “pass” (no letter grade) basis. Military credits are considered non-resident credit for purposes of graduation.

6. SMSU does not limit the number of credits which can be obtained through military service experience.

7. Students have the right  to petition to academic departments for course equivalency if there is an SMSU course that would equate to the military course.

8. To determine direct equivalences to SMSU courses the student must petition through the Academic departments.

Story Image President Gores a Presenter at German...

SMSU President Dr. Connie J. Gores will be a presenter at an international conference in Bonn, Germany which has an emphasis on women leaders in higher education

Story Image Wheelchair Basketball Alumnus Ryan Martin Returns for...

Ryan Martin, SMSU alumnus, assisted at the recent Wheelchair Basketball Camp.

View All
Southwest Minnesota State University

1501 State St. Marshall, MN 56258
2016 © Southwest Minnesota State University


We are an affirmative action / equal opportunity university.
Southwest Minnesota State University is a member of the Minnesota State system.