Skip to main content
Search Icon

First Time Licensure

Steps for Licensure Information

Follow these guidelines to apply for your FIRST Professional MN Teaching License:

  • Your degree must be posted on your DARS before licensure process can begin.
  • You need to pass the Content and Pedagogy MTLE exams in order to apply for a Tier 3 (initial) license. You do not need to have passed the Essential Academic Skills tests in Reading, Writing, and Math for the Tier 3 license.
  • Then go to; Click on Academics -> School of Education -> Placement and Licensure -> First Time Licensure
  • Click on SMSU Application for Teaching License
  • Print the SMSU Application for Teaching License and fill it out completely.
  • Go to
  • Click on Tier 3 and Tier 4 application
  • This is a paper-based form for now; you will need to print out and complete this form. Submit it to the Placement & Licensure office with the other items needed. Complete Sections 1-5. Skip Sections 6-7. Section 8 is the Verification of Completion of a State Approved Licensure Program; the Licensing Officer at SMSU needs to sign this in order for you to complete the licensure process.

You will need a fingerprint card; Go to and under ‘Apply’, click on Fingerprint Card to request one is sent to you. Once you receive the fingerprint card, get that done at a police station.

  • You will also be asked to pay by check with the application. Make sure this check gets sent to SMSU with the application form.
  • You need to send the following to the Licensing Officer at SMSU:
SMSU Application for a Teaching License form
Tier 3 Application form
Completed Fingerprint Card
Check for the amount listed on Pg. 1 of the Application form made out to ‘PELSB’
  • Send to:
Southwest Minnesota State University
Director of Professional Educator Services
IL 152
1501 State St.
Marshall, MN 56258
  • You will be notified by email when your license application has been processed and mailed. It will likely take 6-8 weeks or longer for your license to be processed. No paper licenses are mailed out. You can check the PELSB website to see when your license has been posted at

Last Modified: 1/2/20 8:35 AM