Skip to content
Search Icon
Bellows Academic Building Exterior

New Employees

Welcome to Southwest Minnesota State University! 

We look forward to working with you and having you become a part of our University community. Congratulations on joining us here at Southwest Minnesota State University!  Here you will find a few of the things you'll want to be aware of in order to ensure your employment gets off to a smooth start. 


Please arrange to have an official transcript showing completion of your highest degree sent to our office as soon as possible.  The transcripts cannot be issued to you, but need to come directly to our office.  They can be submitted electronically to or mailed to Southwest Minnesota State University, Attn: Human Resources, 1501 State Street, Marshall, MN 56258.    


Before your first day of work you will receive a welcome email containing a secure link to create an online profile where personal information will be entered for the payroll system.

After you have met with Human Resources and your employment documents have been received and entered into the payroll system can you begin receiving your paycheck, obtain your ID card (Mustang Card), and activate your Southwest Minnesota State University account granting access to Southwest Minnesota State University systems including computers, e-mail, servers, etc. 


No later than the first day of employment, go to Human Resources, BA 269, to complete and sign your I-9 Employment Verification form.  You will also be required to provide document(s) to prove your eligibility for employment in the U.S. Only genuine, original, unexpired documents from the List of Acceptable Documents can be accepted.  It is advised that you carefully read the Instructions for Form I-9 and review the List of Acceptable documents to ensure you are meeting the legal requirements.  If you forget to bring your document(s) or they are determined to not meet the legal criteria, you will have 3 additional days from your first day of employment to provide the document(s). International faculty or employees with questions should contact Human Resources for assistance at 507-537-6208. If you need visa assistance, please contact Human Resources at 

Note: If your employment is at a remote location within the U.S. and you are not able to physically come to campus, please refer to the I-9 Remote Hire Instructions.  


Get a Parking Permit

You may purchase a parking permit if needed.  Additional information on the local bus route, is available at United Community Action.  

Get An ID Card (Mustang Card) 

Everyone employed by the University should obtain a University ID card, referred to as the Mustang Card. The Mustang Card is required to utilize various university services, to obtain certain discounts, as well as provide access to certain campus facilities. In some cases you may need to have a Mustang Card to access the facility where you will be working.  You can obtain a Mustang Card at the Mustang Card Center located in the Student Union, SC 225.  The phone number is phone 507-537-7330.  Please bring your driver's license with you to verify your identification.

Access StarID, E-mail, and University Systems

New to Southwest Minnesota State University: You will need a STAR ID to access University systems such as E-services, E-time, e-mail*, D2L Brightspace** and Employee Home. If you already have a STAR ID, even if it is from another institution, that is all you need! To reset your STAR ID password, please visit 

Follow the instructions on the Information Technology Services page.

Review Benefit Options if Available 

NOT ALL POSITIONS are eligible for benefits. If you are unsure as to what you are eligible for please contact Human Resources.  If you are eligible, you will receive an insurance packet mailed to your home address from the State Employee Group Program (SEGIP). You will be able to complete insurance enrollment via the State of Minnesota Self Service Portal.  The online enrollment directions can be found on State Employee Group Program (SEGIP) website.

Please contact Human Resources at or your designated Minnesota Management and Budget State Employee Group Insurance Program representative with insurance questions.  

Get Keys If Applicable 

Obtain building keys by getting a key authorization form from your dean, supervisor or on the Facilities & Physical Plant web page.  Take the completed key authorization form to Physical Plant & Auxiliary Services located in MT 101, phone 507-537-7106.

Self Service Web Site

The Employee Self Service Web Site allows you to view/print your pay stub, enroll in insurance benefits (if eligible), enter your direct deposit and W4 information as well as access other payroll functions.  You will receive an email with your User ID and password after your employment data has been documented in the personnel and payroll systems.  Check out the following links to familiarize yourself with the Employee Self Service web site and its functions.

Introduction to the Employee Self Service Web Site
Go to the Employee Self Service Web Site

Previous state employees already have a User ID and password.  If you are unfamiliar with using the Self Service web site you may wish to review the introduction page listed above. You will continue to use the Self Service web site throughout your employment at Southwest Minnesota State University; to update your direct deposit, W4, benefits, and various other functions.

When Will I Receive A Paycheck? 

The current year payroll calendar provides Pay Period End dates, Pay Days, when eTimesheets are due, and what Holidays are available per your bargaining unit's agreements.

Required Training

Trainings will be assigned in Enterprise Learning Management via the State of Minnesota Self Service Portal.  

Other Resources

Last Modified: 4/17/23 11:24 AM | Website Feedback