Skip to content
Search Icon
SMSU students in a classroom

New PSEO Students

PSEO Admission and Application

Students can get a jump start on earning college credits by taking college courses while they are in still in high school through Minnesota’s PSEO program. This program allows students to take college courses tuition free, saving both time and money on completing a college degree. PSEO courses may also fulfill high school course requirements and count toward a high school diploma. The PSEO program at SMSU is open to eligible juniors and seniors at public and private high schools and home-schooled students.

SMSU PSEO Deadlines:

Fall Semester -
Applications must be received by June 1st and new students must be registered by July 15th.

Spring Semester -
Applications must be received by December 1st and new students must be registered by December 15th.

Student Eligibility Requirements:

Seniors -  
Must have a 3.0 GPA or above and be in the top half of their graduating class*

Juniors -  
Must have a 3.0 GPA or above and be in the top third of their graduating class*

*Note:  Test scores from a nationally standardized test can be used to replace class rank if needed.  Students will still be required to meet the 3.0 GPA to go along with their test scores.  Seniors need to score in the 50th percentile and juniors need to score in the 70th percentile.

Click here for information on our Appeals Process for the PSEO program.

Application Process

  1. Apply for admission to SMSU. PSEO students are not required to pay the $20 application fee.
    Apply online by clicking:  Apply Now!

    If you would prefer to apply by mail, you can use the Downloadable Admission Application and mail it to:

    Office of Admission
    Southwest MN State University
    1501 State Street
    Marshall, MN  56258 

  2. Submit Official High School Transcripts indicating class rank to the Office of Admission

    High schools are required to provide information to sophomores and juniors by March 1 for the following fall.

    To assist the district in planning, public school students are required to inform their district of their intent to enroll in PSEO courses during the following school year by May 30. If public school students do not notify the enrolling district by May 30, and the enrolling district does not waive the deadline, the family may be responsible for the postsecondary tuition expense.

How much does it cost?

You will not be charged for tuition, books, fees, or application fee. The program covers tuition, fees, and textbooks. You will be responsible for non-consumable supplies such as pens, paper, calculators, etc. Students who wish to live on campus will be responsible for their housing and food.


PSEO students may live on campus. Please contact the Office of Residential Life if you have more questions, 507.537.6136. Please note that housing costs are not covered by the program and are the sole responsibility of the student. PSEO students living in campus housing are held to the same policies and procedures as degree-seeking students.

How often should you meet with your high school counselor?

You must meet with your high school counselor before registering for the next semester. Together, you must complete two forms:

  1. Notice of Student Registration form (for PSEO students)
    A parent's signature is required unless the student is 18 years old or older.
    School and College Program form (for SACP students)
    A parent's signature is required unless the student is 18 years old or older.
    *******To find out which form you need, please click here.
  2. Credit Balance Sheet
    You need to work closely with your high school counselor to ensure that the college courses you take will meet high school graduation requirements.

Selecting College Courses at SMSU

The first time a student registers for courses, he/she will also set up an SMSU email account, go through e-services, and learn specifics about the program. Jessica Mensink will advise students each semester they are enrolled at SMSU as PSEO/SACP students. When students meet with her, they must submit a new Notice of Student Registration form or School and College Program form, and a Credit Balance sheet

Please note that the PSEO and SACP forms require a parent's signature unless the student is 18 years old or older.
*******To find out which form you need, please click here.

Restricted Classes for PSEO Students

PSEO students are prohibited from enrolling in developmental courses (listed below 100 level). If a student wishes to take developmental courses, he/she is allowed, but the cost is the student’s responsibility. If a student wishes to enroll in an Applied Voice or Applied Piano class, for examples, the student must first obtain permission from the instructor.

PSEO students typically cannot take 300 and 400 level courses. However, in rare and unique situations, a student may be allowed to enroll in a 300/400 level course with written approval from the Director of Concurrent Enrollment, and if deemed necessary, the Dean of that particular school of study.

Students interested in taking special courses with additional/special course fees over $250 including, but not limited to independent study courses, internship courses, field experiences, TA courses, education abroad courses, developmental courses, and clinical experiences may be allowed to do so as a special admit student.  Expenses as a special admit student are the responsibility of the student including tuition, fees, and textbooks.

Attending Part Time or Full Time

Students may enroll in the program on a full-time or part-time basis. Students can take one PSEO course per semester or as many as 18 credits.

What SMSU expects of PSEO/SACP students:

  1. Students must maintain a 2.0 or higher cumulative grade point average.
  2. Check his/her SMSU email account on a weekly basis.
  3. Attend classes.
  4. Communicate with high school counselors and/or other high school officials about course selections, schedule changes, and graduation requirements.
  5. Submit SMSU grades to the high school at the end of each semester.

How do college credits convert to high school credits?

Four semester college credits equal at least one full year of high school credit. Fewer college credits may be prorated. The course equivalency is determined by your high school. A district shall grant academic credit to a pupil enrolled in a course for secondary credit if the pupil successfully completes the course.

Involvement in High School Activities

High schools may not prohibit students from participating in school sponsored activities based on PSEO status.

Involvement in Southwest Minnesota State Activities

Students enrolled at Southwest Minnesota State University under PSEO are welcome to participate in student clubs and organizations as they choose. Intercollegiate athletics as a PSEO student are not allowed. 


SMSU Academic Calendar
Office of Records and Registration
Office of Residential Life
University Public Safety
Business Services Office
Deeann Griebel Student Success Center

Do you need more information? Please contact us!

Ellie Ahmann
Assistant Director of College Now
SMSU - College Now
1501 State Street
Marshall, MN 56258


For further information from the Minnesota Department of Education about the PSEO program, please contact the following individual:

Angie Johnson

You may also access the Minnesota Department of Education website for more PSEO information.

Last Modified: 2/22/24 11:41 AM | Website Feedback