Skip to content
Search Icon

Submit a Sexual Violence Complaint

Submit a Complaint (Sexual Assault, Stalking, Relationship Violence)

Southwest Minnesota State University encourages those who have experienced any form of sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking and/or dating/relationship violence to report the incident to the University Public Safety office. If you would like to file a separate report to law enforcement, you may do so at any time by dialing 911.

To Submit a Complaint:

All reports will be held in strict confidence and are anonymous unless you share your identity in the report text box. As you submit your report, please know that our ability to most thoroughly investigate any complaint is dependent on the information you provide. Providing details about the location, whether you are a student/employee, and the nature of the incident will enable us to most effectively address the matter you are reporting.

Submit Complaint

Free reporting app:
Apple App Store or Google Play Store – SMSU Campus ID = BLGV

Michael J. Munford
Director of Public Safety Title IX Investigator
Founder's Hall B-18 Southwest Minnesota State University

David E. Hemp
Assistant Director of Public Safety Title IX Investigator
Founder's Hall B-20 Southwest Minnesota State University

Nancy Olson
Chief Human Resources Officer Title IX Coordinator
BA 257 Southwest Minnesota State University

Sexual assault and some other forms of sexual misconduct can be both a criminal offense as well as a violation of the Minnesota State/SMSU 1B.3/1B.1 policies. A student or employee alleged to have engaged in a sexual assault can be prosecuted under Minnesota criminal statutes and/or disciplined under the 1B.1.1/1B.3.1 or applicable employment procedures. Criminal proceedings and University proceedings are separate processes with independent outcomes.

Support and Resources for Sexual Violence Survivors

If you have been a victim of sexual violence.....

Do you want to report the crime with law enforcement?

Emergency - 911

Marshall Police, 507-537-7000, 611 W Main St., Marshall, MN

Do you want to go the hospital?

Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center - 507-532-9661, 300 S Bruce St., Marshall, MN

Do you want to talk to someone?

New Horizons Crisis Center - 507-532-5764 - Available 24/7, free and is confidential.

SMSU Counseling - 507-537-7150 - Trained, professional counselors are available to you at no cost.  They provide confidential, supportive counseling.

Western Mental Health Center - 507-532-3236

Do you want to file a complaint with the University?

University Public Safety - 507-537-7252, FH Basement

Title IX Coordinator - 507-537-6544, BA 257

Southwest Minnesota State University following the following policies regarding sexual violence, discrimination and harassment:

SMSU Sexual Violence

Minnesota State Board Policy 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy at

Minnesota State Board Policy 1B.3.1 Sexual Violence Procedure at

Minnesota State Board Policy 1B.1 Nondiscrimination in Employment and Education Opportunity at

Minnesota State Board Policy 1B.1.1 Report/Complaint of Discrimination /Harassment Investigation and Resolution at

Last Modified: 8/30/22 4:39 PM | Website Feedback