Skip to content
Search Icon

Motor Vehicle Record Checks and Vehicle/Bus Rental

This page answers the most frequently asked questions regarding vehicle use and rental.

Motor Vehicle Record Checks

Vehicle/Bus Rental (Enterprise Rent-a-Car / Southwest Coaches)

Policy and Procedure

 Motor Vehicle Record Checks

State Owned Vehicles
Any student driving a State leased or a State owned vehicle must have a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check and complete a Vehicle Use Agreement prior to driving the vehicle.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Vehicles
Students driving a vehicle from Enterprise Rent-A-Car must also be a student employee. The State of MN contracts with Enterprise Rent-A-Car state that rentals must only be driven by SMSU employees. Therefore students must be on SMSU student payroll in order to rent or drive a vehicle. A Motor Vehicle Record check is not required in this case.

Weekly, a list of all SMSU student employees is submitted to Enterprise for their records. If a student tries to rent and is not on the list they will be denied rental. It is advised to plan ahead and verify the driver is approved to rent and drive the vehicle. Drivers driving in-state must be at least 18 years of age and drivers driving out-state must be at least 21 years of age. A valid driver's license from the State of Minnesota, or another U.S. State, is required and must be presented at Enterprise.

Students requesting reimbursement for personal vehicle expense will not be required to complete a MVR check or Motor Vehicle Use Agreement.

Graduate Assistants
SMSU is requesting that all Graduate Assistants complete the Motor Vehicle Use Agreement as they may be more likely to drive a State or leased vehicle.

Employee Motor Vehicle Record Check
SMSU staff and faculty should refer to Human Resources for more information regarding employee motor vehicle record checks.

Vehicle/Bus Rental

Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Ph: (507) 532-3723
SMSU and the State of MN are contracted with Enterprise Rent-A-Car for the rental of vehicles in place of personal or University motor pool vehicles. SMSU encourages employees to utilize this service whenever possible.

When using an Enterprise rental through the State contract employees are not to use the rental vehicle for any personal use. Only SMSU employees and SMSU students may be passengers in the Enterprise rental vehicle; therefore, no one other than those listed is permitted to ride in a rental vehicle. Drivers of Enterprise rental vehicles must be authorized prior to picking up and/or driving the vehicle. Upon pickup of the rental vehicle, you must have a valid driver's license for all authorized drivers available at the time of rental for review by Enterprise.

Rental vehicles must be returned with a full tank of gas. You must keep your gas receipts for reimbursement.

The State of Minnesota contracts with Enterprise are listed below. If you rent a car you are bound by the terms of the State contract.

Southwest Coaches, Ph: (507) 532-4043
Busing can be obtained from Southwest Coaches. Rates are subject to change, please confirm with Southwest Coaches when arranging your travel. 

Policy and Procedure

Minnesota State Travel Management Policy

Minnesota State Travel Management Procedure

Minnesota State Risk Management Policy

Last Modified: 10/6/23 2:41 PM | Website Feedback